My approach to people and change is:
- Solution Focused: I will help you do more of what works in your life and change what doesn’t.
- Strengths Based: To figure out where we want to do and what we want to do, we need to know who we are. One tool I use is the Strengthsfinder® assessment of natural talent. This will clarify for you what you do best and how to apply this knowledge to your life.
- Practical: Although insight into why and how things came about will prepare you for change, it doesn’t necessarily lead to change. I apply the coaching principles of figuring out and following actions that create the change you want.
The main approaches that I draw on are:
- Solution Focused Brief Interventions: No matter how dire the situation, you are doing something right some of the time. Solution focused therapy helps you identify those things that are working for you, and do more of them. Do more of what works and less of what doesn’t and your life will gradually shift in major ways.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT): Some things just are. Some situations can’t be changed. Especially other people. ACT teaches you to accept reality, change what can we changed and live by your values.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT): Most of us have thinking patterns that are downright irrational and defy reason. Learn how to identify these and replace them with a more accurate a realistic view of yourself and your life.
- Inner Critic Work: We are all our own worst critics. This voice inside will stop us going for what we want, mess with our self-esteem and lead to a river of miserableness that runs through our days. Learn how to tame this voice and step back from it, give yourself a break and enjoy your life.
- Voice Dialogue: Have you ever thought ‘on the one hand I think this, and on the other hand I think something else’? Voice Dialogue gives a voice to the different parts of us, so that we can step back and make a decision after considering both sides.
- Strengths Based Coaching: Do you know what you are naturally good at? What your talents are? Strengths coaching using the Strengthsfinder® assessment will give you clarity on what it is you do best, and how to use it in your life.
- Focusing and body work: Over-thinking can block awareness of the right action. Bodywork accesses our intuition. Without this knowledge we can make decisions that seem right in theory, but don’t fit with who we are.
The exact approach used will vary from person to person and depend on your unique situation and style. Our aim is always the fastest and most effective resolution of problems, identification of next steps and relief from stress and turmoil.